Can not match symbol with broker symbol for download

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
mac69bd

Can not match symbol with broker symbol for download

Post by mac69bd »

Hello
I bought the full licence and try to download index from tickstory but symbol name is different from the broker so cant backtest. I follow below instruction :

To get your broker's MT4 settings:

1. Deploy the attached MQ4 script to your MetaTrader 4
Experts directory (eg. C:\Program Files\Metatrader 4 Broker\Experts).

2. Restart your MT4 terminal and ensure your terminal is connected to your broker.

3. In the MT4 Navigator->Expert Advisors tree, you should now see the Expert "TickstoryInfo" appear. Double-click on it to apply it to any LIVE chart. Modify any EA settings such as selecting "m" as the suffix for micro accounts and press OK.

4. In the 'Experts' tab, you should see the EA working. Wait for it complete. This will generate the settings (spreads, etc) based on your connected broker. The resulting file will be placed in the Metatrader experts\files directory.

5. In the Tickstory 'MetaTrader Info' tab, load the resulting info file by browsing to your MetaTrader's experts\files directory. The filename will be Mt4.<BrokerName>.Server.mt4config.

6. Tickstory will load all the broker & currency settings into the system. It will assume defaults for instruments that are not listed by your broker. You are now ready to produce an MT4 export tailored for your broker.

Consult the Help manual for detailed instructions about this procedure.

But get error while want to save that file as default. Here is the error message I am getting:
Product version: 1.8.9.1
Details:
Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Tickstory\Mt4.Default.mt4config' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append)
at System.IO.FileInfo.CreateText()
at (Object )
at A.c74e42c2520aca47231cb46bb5c0c4201.c3467bde97541753bcbc700f6dc515a5e(Object )
at A.c04870f073bec6ea8e7c5f4ad7259900f.c0ab003684971fc426c132d6801f8c187(String )
at A.c76371e279f36b8b6c06fa8114e1bbacf.c3a30a880ec54771a4470448203ab8e21(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

tickstory

Re: Can not match symbol with broker symbol for download

Post by tickstory »

Hi Mac69d,

Could you please launch Tickstory as administrator (right-click on the launch icon and select 'Run as Administrator'). The reason for this message is that Tickstory does not have permissions to write to the Program Files folder unless it is running as administrator. After saving as default, you can continue to run Tickstory in "normal" mode.

Hope this helps.

mac69bd

Post by mac69bd »

Thanks for reply. But problem with tickstoryInfo EA. Its seems disable on expert TAB after deploy from tickstory. However after put That EA on live chart its genarate a config file but if I load that file on metatrader info on tick story while export data to mt4, I cant find broker symbol. Like my broker name Tickmill UK and FTSE symbol is UK100.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Mac69bd,

Did you correctly "map" your symbol from GBRIDXGBP (the Dukascopy/Tickstory name) to UK100 (your broker's symbol name)? There is a "map to" field in the "MT4 Export"->"Mt4 Settings" tab which you will need to input "UK100" (without quotes). This will ensure that Tickstory exports the data to MT4 as the correct symbol. There is further information about this if you refer to the manual or if you do a search for 'Map to' on this forum.

The other thing I would recommend is using the following set of steps to get your settings for UK100:

https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809

The reason for using the above-mentioned method (rather than TickstoryEA) is that EAs have limitations on some of the information that can be extracted about a symbol. This is particularly important for non-FX symbols such as indices. If you follow the above-mentioned steps along with ensuring you fill in the 'Map to' field, you should get 99.9% modelling quality as a result.

If you have difficulties, appreciate if you could post a few screenshots and we will help out!

Thanks.

mac69bd

Post by mac69bd »

Thanks for reply.
I did same that you mention above. Also I first download data from mt4 history for uk100 then tickstory metatrader data editor I open that uk100 file and save it. Then download data from ticksory with that exact setting which I save before for UK10. but when I try to test in EA in journal I four error " Testing pass stopped due to a critical error in the EA". However when I testing with mt4 default history data its working fine.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Mac69bd,

Thanks for the further information. If there is a critical error in the EA, it will likely need to be fixed (assuming all your MT4 Settings are correctly exported). It's possible that the EA can't handle certain scenarios when presented with tick data. For example, we have seen EAs that assume a maximum of x ticks per second. Do you have a screenshot of the error message you can post? This might give some further information so the developer can address the issue.

Thanks.

mac69bd

Post by mac69bd »

Hello
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I don't understand whats happening.

1. I download data for gbpusd from Jan to Feb 2008, but when I backtest from 2008 to 2012 with the data I download from tickstory its test whole 2008 to 2012. But I download only two months of gbpusd data where all data came from.
2. For uk100 I try everthing but failed. now its saying "deficient data"
3.Download speed of data from tickstory is too slow. like for gbpusd if i select data for one year its took almost 3 hours to download. Is that normal? or any other way to download faster.

Attach picture
Attachments
uk 100.jpg
gbpusd test result.jpg
data folder.jpg

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Mac69bd,

Thanks for the screenshots, they do help. It looks like you are getting the "cannot open [5]" error message when trying to test with UK100. The most likely scenario is that you haven't exported enough data (as explained more in this thread: https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =980#p4766).
You can prove the point by simply trying to back-test in say M1 timeframe. If the back-test proceeds, it means that you need to export more data. MT4 requires you to export at least 100 bars of data for any given time-frame. So for M1 time-frame, the minimum is 100 minutes. For the daily time-frame it is 100 days. Please correct this by exporting say at least 4 months and trying to back-test again.

Regarding the speed, the second time you export the same date range it should be a bit faster since Tickstory caches all the data it downloads from the web. You could speed things up a bit more by only exporting the FXT time-frames that you are using (only Daily/D1, for example). Just remember that if you do this and attempt to back-test in a time-frame that you haven't exported, you wont get 99.9% modelling quality.

It seems we're going through lots of different issues at the moment. Before attempting to back-test too many pairs (and scenarios) at the same time, can I suggest that we get things right for UK100, Daily timeframe and "MACD Sample EA" first. After this, you will hopefully be familiar enough to repeat the same process for any other instrument, EA and time-frame.

So in summary:

1) Export at least 4 months of GBRIDXGBP data from Tickstory, ensuring that you have the correct MT4 Settings and have mapped to UK100.
2) In the Daily timeframe, test the "MACD Sample" EA and make sure you get 99.9% modelling quality.

Please let us know how you go.

Thanks.

mac69bd

Post by mac69bd »

Hello
Thanks for your help. Look like working. If something came up I will let you know

Thanks

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Great news, Mac69bd! Yes, please contact us if there are any issues. Happy back-testing!