How to import tick data to MT4?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
alhoya

How to import tick data to MT4?

Post by alhoya »

Hello,
I want open chart with tick data in MT4,
I did like this:
1.Download tick data with Tickstory
2.Export to file but it was written that Wrong format
Look at attached Gif (open in browser)
What to do?
Below link with picture.
http://gph.is/2rub5zU

tickstory

Re: How to import tick data to MT4?

Post by tickstory »

Hi Alhoya,

You should be using the "Export to Metatrader" option to export tick data to MT4.
Please check out this video of how to export tick data to MT4. Make sure you turn on 'Closed Captions' in Youtube to have a translation of the process in your language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=084k9fJCeCY

Hope this helps.

visualwork5000

Post by visualwork5000 »

Dear Tickstory support team,

I would like to know how to copy the fxt files generated by tickstory software to MT4 manually as it is installed on another PC. I have a licensed copy of the software. If I placed the fxt file in the following folder " Tester / history" . MT4 will read it directly and will start the backtesting or i will be still needing to import he csv files for M1 and M15 (my EA works on M15).

Please advise in this matter.

Best regards

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Visualwork,

Unfortunately copying FXT files from one folder to another is not quite straight-forward due to specific information that ties it to a specific broker (amongst other things). I would only recommend this if your broker is the *exactly* the same on both PCs (same broker, account type, currency, etc). If so, you can try copying the FXTs over to tester/history and you will need to also copy over the .HST files from the respective folder (overwriting your existing history data). If you get errors such as "no data for testing", then it means MT4 is not accepting the files. In this case, you will need to export then re-import the data, however it will not be tick data (since MT4 cannot import tick data directly).

Hope this helps.

financialcris

Post by financialcris »

A few things I don't quite understand. Hopefully I'll get a response.
If I use "download data" the program will retrieve data from dukascopy web site into a local folder. How can I then use that local folder to populate MT4 ? If I then go to "export to MT4" would that local data be used to transfer data to my MT4 or will the program be (again) downloading from dukascopy website ? I've done this two steps just like I am explaining now, but the second steps is taking a lot of time, so I'm thinking that maybe it is going online and downloading it all over again. Is that it?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Financialcris,

Tickstory can essentially export tick data to a number of platforms with MT4 being one of the supported platforms. Therefore, there is two steps that take place during an export:

1) Downloading the historical tick data from Dukascopy and storing it locally so we don't need to download the data again. This tick data is stored in a binary format in your "Dukascopy Store folder".

2) Exporting to your platform. In the case of MT4, Tickstory uses the historical tick data to produce a file format which is compatible with MT4. This data resides as "HST" and "FXT" files in your MT4 Data Folder.

Each time you select "Export to..", Tickstory will automatically perform Step 1 if necessary (i.e. it checks first if the data resides locally and if so, uses it).

Be sure to check out the manual for further details and also this post might be helpful: https://tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 2&p=51#p54

Regards.