Different results when connected / disconnected

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
tommylux

Different results when connected / disconnected

Post by tommylux »

Hi Everyone,

Just as a bit of a background, I have struggled to match the performance of live trading with backtest results, but I am positive that these results will improve having put in the correct settings for GER30 and UK100 in the tick story. I modified my settings file by comparing other symbols. The second thing I'm positive about is connecting to a live account rather than a demo account as a demo account seems to be more in the customers advantage.

One thing I noticed early on is that an optimiser on UK100 didn't match an individual test when right clicking and setting parameters. I still need to do more checking, but my main question is, running an optimiser whilst connected to your broker yields different results than when connected.

I have gotten to the position now that I can identify positive results in both a connected and disconnected state, but I wondered which one will likely to be more accurate between the two?

Best regards and happy trading.

Tom

tickstory

Re: Different results when connected / disconnected

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tommylux,

Just make sure that you have your 'Spread' set to an explicit value in MT4's Strategy Tester. If it is set to 'Current', it will use the spread at the time of pressing 'Start' on your back-test which can obviously vary if you are connected to your broker.

It is recommended that you keep your terminal disconnected once you have set your back-testing environment up. This will limit any variations in-between test runs which is very important when trying to establish whether your EA is at least profitable in a demo/historical environment.

If you haven't already, you may want to check out our FAQ on trying to assess what factors are likely to impact your EA's results when you move to a live trading environment:

https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... acktesting
https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... acktesting

Hope this helps.