optimizing , no results

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
netprofit

optimizing , no results

Post by netprofit »

Hi,

i have a problem which occurs time by time.
When i test an EA and optimize step by step normally it works well, but suddenly at the next step it doesn't show me any result with the different parameters, just zeros.
https://gyazo.com/ab3c43000be188db1d49788c1147921b

It seems to happen especially at high frequency EAs and looks like something is collapsed....

When it happens first time with this EA, i can't do any more optimizing with it, i always only get zeros.
I must delete the "ini-file" and cache file in the history of tester and then can optimize again

But when i just take over one of the "zero" results and run the back test i get normal results with chart and everything.
Only in the optimizing table it shows no result.

This happens with tickstory 1.73 and MT4 build 910 or 971 as same as tickstory 1.85 with build 1010.
And i get now error message or whatever...
https://gyazo.com/e7626dc00b37c18d45087c519b11c0e1

What is the problem ?
What can i do ?

tickstory

Re: optimizing , no results

Post by tickstory »

Hi Netprofit,

Are you back-testing a "large" period - say over 2 years (and over the 4GB FXT limit)? If so, can you try reduce the size of your test period? Is the problem consistent every time you start your EA? And is there any way to reproduce the problem on "MACD Sample"?

Thanks.

netprofit

Post by netprofit »

Hi,

no, period is only one month...
It is every time with this EA or similar fast scalping EA.
And with MACD-Sample everything works fine...

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Netprofit,

Regarding the "actual tick file" message you mentioned, this not an error but a notification.
With regards to your EA, we have seen instances where the MT4 optimizer cache needs to be cleared if you're getting "odd" results. In these cases, you might want to try to delete the cache records in <MT4 Data Folder>/tester/caches and see if that helps. And of course, make sure that your EA isn't actually giving a zero result for some reason by back-testing a set of input parameters in "normal" mode (i.e. right click on one of the optimization results, select "Set Input Parameters" and then Start a back-test). If you do get zero trades/results, then you need to trouble-shoot why the EA isn't trading.

Hope this helps.

netprofit

Post by netprofit »

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
But the EA is trading.... if i run it in normal back test with this settings.
I just get zero-results, in optimizing mode.
If i use then one of these parameter and make back test, i get a normal result.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi - did you try clearing your cache? Also, have you looked at the MQL forums for a solution such as this:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/127009

I believe the optimizer doesn't work for those EAs using objects.

Thanks.

netprofit

Post by netprofit »

Ok, i tried out now a lot:

I always must delete the cache file.
After each parameter which i optimize.
Otherwise i again get only zeros.

Or sometimes i get good results in the optimizing list, but when i use one of this settings and make
the back test, i get a totally different result.
So if the best result in the optimizing list is 10.000 and i use this for back test i get probably just 3.000.

It is mostly with higher frequency EAS.

And on different tickstory installations with different broker MT4.

What is wrong ?
What can i do?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Netprofit,

We can only assume that MT4's cache is getting "muddled" for some reason during certain tests. We have raised an item to see if we can find a suitable workaround (not everyone is likely to want their optimization cache deleted). Note that previous MT4 terminals had this issue and is was subsequently resolved, so it may be something that needs to be raised with MQ - if there is an inclination to fix it. For the moment the only recommendation we have is to delete the MT4 cache prior to starting your optimization.

Regards.