Weekends: Difference in chart and visual tester

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
SzabolcsTrader

Weekends: Difference in chart and visual tester

Post by SzabolcsTrader »

"Hi Szabolcs,

We've had a chance to look at this further at the current behaviour is actually by design at the moment. That is, the actual testing data begins on Sunday March 14th 2010 which is when the market opens, hence the bar on the 14th. On the display chart, however, these bars are filtered out because they are being used for display purposes only. We could potentially change the export such that you will see the 14th's bar in the "New->Chart" option in MT4 so it matches what you see in the Strategy Tester. This would obviously not affect your back-test results.

At the moment, however, it doesn't make sense to eliminate that bar altogether since trading begins on Sundays at 9PM GMT.

If you have any further input on this, please let us know.

Thanks."

"Dear Tickstory,

Thank you for your reply. The problem is not only that 14th candle. But the candles on Sundays.
The robot examines candles, and if it examines candles which are only in the chart due to 'wrong' timezone settings, then it is analyzing false data and will not make good decisions. Imagine in a daily timeframe, this expert/robot is a good working robot which generates profit but now it cant be profitable, because it is analyzing sunday 2 hours candles and thinks it is a whole day.
So if you could eliminiate not only the 14th candles but on all sundays would be the best. I have tried the setting 'include weekends' but with that settings, the display chart also shows the little movements. So please, the best would be if on the visual chart sundays could be filtered out. The attachments contain the Tickstory version number, the settings I did, and the error (difference) on the charts, which is not the only one I just pointed this one out, but there is more.

Regards and thank you
Szabolcs
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-06-19 08.36.21.png
Screenshot 2016-06-19 08.32.23.png
Screenshot 2016-06-19 08.13.31.png

tickstory

Re: Weekends: Difference in chart and visual tester

Post by tickstory »

Hi Szabolics,

That's correct - on every Sunday, the market commences trading. Officially "weekends" are the close of Friday 22:00 GMT and before re-open on Sunday 21:00 GMT. Data can potentially be present in between these hours which is why there is a "filter weekend" option.
We'll look into addressing the missing bar on the Sunday - this would only affect the visual display of the D1 chart and not users' backtests. As for the Strategy Tester data, I suspect it would be very detrimental to other users if we were to filter Sunday bars just because one EA doesn't need it. The correct approach would be to modify your EA to filter all Sunday bars if your EA does not require them - this should require a single line of code, hopefully (or, if you're using a commercial EA, there are often settings for trading hours). As much as possible, we need to leave the test data as close to the actual on-market activity and let users determine how to use it for their needs.

Hope this helps.

SzabolcsTrader

Post by SzabolcsTrader »

Hi Tickstory,

Actually, I need the whole trading hours, I only like to set that all the market opening would open Monday 0:00 (not only the 14th or March 2010). In default settings it starts on sunday 22.00 but if I change the timezone to gmt+2 it would open Monday 0:00. (because of the +2 hours SHIFT)
But if I set the timezone to Gmt+2 display chart is good, but after I start the test, and the tester is running, the tester chart changes back to sunday 22:00 so it tests with sunday candles. it still opens sunday 22:00.
SO what i would really want is the market opening to be SHITFTED 2 hours later. (instead of sunday 22.00 - with gmt+2 setting- to open at monday 00:00.)
It really bothers me that this problem have been told to many ears, and I am not sure if anybody really understands my problem, even when I asked if this is understandable, I did not recived a yes or no answer, so please let me know this time.

(I really like to solve this, because my EA opens buy position if there are 5 bearish candles after each other. Eg. the EA examines these conditions from thursday to next wednesday. iN real market all 5 bars are going down, but because the wrong timezone setting, i have an uphill candle with low activity on sunday so it breaks the pattern. in this case my robot will not open position and i will not have profit. and i need the market to be shifted 2 hours because of that)

Thank you,
Szabolcs

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Szabolcs,

I do believe we understand what the issue is - basically you want the data shifted to the Monday and no bar for Sundays, After all this discussion, perhaps you are looking to model "New York Trading hours" which is at the top of the timezone list?
FYI, here is further discussion on the New York timezone: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=131. Please take the time to read this and see if that's what you've been looking for.

For the informational record, we've done some extra research on how the Sunday opening time is changed at Dukascopy. So far we have the following official response from their support:
before winter/summer times changes we also publish such news:Clocks will be advanced by 1 hour this Sunday 13 March in the US eastern time zone (EST). The FX trading day ending at 5pm NY time, Dukascopy Market opening and settlement time will be changed from 22:00 GMT to 21:00 GMT effectively this Sunday 13 March 2016.
Clocks will return to Winter schedule on Sunday 6th November.

and next:This Sunday, 27th March, clocks will be set forward by one hour in many countries of the northern hemisphere. While there is no change in the Dukascopy opening hours from Sundays at 21:00 GMT to Fridays at 21:00 GMT, the change to summertime means that market will again open at the normal time of 23:00 for Western European Traders. In Europe clocks will be set back to wintertime on Sunday 30th October 2016.
Dukascopy are shifting time based on Eastern U.S. DST (as opposed to European DST) which isn't explicitly mentioned on their website. This information may be useful to know for users working in GMT.

Thanks.

SzabolcsTrader

Post by SzabolcsTrader »

Hi Tickstory,

Thank you very much for your efforts and support, it works just fine now!

Thank you again
best regards,
Szabolcs