MT4 (1210) cannot be launched from Tickstory Lite (1.9.4.0)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
watchme

MT4 (1210) cannot be launched from Tickstory Lite (1.9.4.0)

Post by watchme »

With Tickstory Lite you are only allowed to convert a year of data. This is understandable but should be mentioned on the website I think. After conversion and trying to start MT4 from Tickstory I get the annoying message 'You are permitted to export a maximum of 365 days in this version of Tickstory. etc..." and MT4 will not start. Ofcourse I was not allowed to do that in the previous exporting step and I had to reduce the period. What the heck? Now I don't asked to export, I asked to start MT4!. Starting MT4 in a normal way will not work because in that case MT4 overwrites the Tîckstory data. I reinstalled Tickstory without succes. Hence, Tickstory Lite is worhtless for me. If anyone knows a solution I would be very grateful!

tickstory

Re: MT4 (1210) cannot be launched from Tickstory Lite (1.9.4

Post by tickstory »

Hi Watchme,

Thanks for your feedback. The 1 year limitation for the Lite version is mentioned on our comparison grid on our download page (https://tickstory.com/download-tickstory/).

To address your issue, could you please do the following:

1) In MT4, Go to File->Open Data Folder and browse to tester/history and delete all the .FXT files (note that you will lose all your exported tick data doing this step).
2) In Tickstory, export 1 year of a symbol of your choice.
3) Launch Metatrader via Tickstory.

This should resolve the limitation error you are getting.

Please note that we will be releasing support for Build 1210 shortly for the Lite version (Licensed version has already been released).

Thanks.

watchme

Post by watchme »

Thank you for your fast response! This solved one problem but I think this is a Tickstory bug, isn't it? I had to install MT4 Terminal.exe Build 1170 to launch eventually MT4 from Tickstory Lite. I exported the FXT files read-only but then MT4 complains about that when a backtest is started. I had to write enable them and then MT4 overwrite the FXT file of the timeframe of the test just as it does when it was started outside Tickstory! So, I don't see the advantage of starting MT4 from within Tickstory because this should be solving that problem but it doesn't.

Another 'problem' is that within Tickstory I do not see a possibility to rename the used symbol so I have to rename all the files that Tickstory makes.
Attachments
FXT files after a backtest from MT4 which was started from within Tickstory.
FXT files after a backtest from MT4 which was started from within Tickstory.

watchme

Post by watchme »

It would be nice if tickstory support could react on my last question/complain!

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Watchme,

MT4 does not "complain" when the files are read-only - this is a notification message only. Please continue as normal.

Regarding "renaming" a symbol, please take a moment to read the manual regarding the "Map to" functionality to map to a different symbol name to that of your MT4 broker (eg. If "EURUSD" is called "EURUSDm" on your broker, you will need to map your symbol accordingly). You can also search the forum for "Map to" for further information about this.

Thanks.