Backtest without result (trades)

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Nico

Backtest without result (trades)

Post by Nico »

Hi there,

Here is my issue :
- I need to backtest my EA which is working fine (with standard settings) when the plateform is connected to my broker (FxPro) and that with all the versions (previous or current) ;
- When I try to backtest it with Tickstory (the last version and following exactly the procedure, and of course being not connected to the server of my broker) I have no trade, no result...
- If I change from my EA to the MACD EA sample (available in mt4), it works fine with 99,9 % of modeling quality (what I need).

At this step I have no more idea for fixing this issue, thanks for your help,

Regards,
Nico

tickstory

Re: Backtest without result (trades)

Post by tickstory »

Hi Nico,

There could be many reasons for the EA not trading and only looking at the logs and/or code might give you more hints about why trades aren't occurring. If either is unavailable, you might try tweaking your EA parameters in such a way that it would be inclined to trade (increasing the spread threshold, for example) and then work backwards to see which parameter is causing your issue. Also check your back-test period and time-frame as some EAs do not trade with sufficient data and/or in certain time-frames. In some cases, the EA might give more information if you test it in 'Visual mode' as some display vital information on the chart itself.

Hope this helps.

Nico

Post by Nico »

I'm really disappointed in front of this mystery...
I already had tried to use the visual mode : everything works fine (even the objects created by the expert are well on the chart) , but still no trades.
In brief, the EA works fine (with trades) in all conditions except when I backtest it with tickstory...
Did you already met a such case ?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Nico,

Again, it is possible that the EA is not trading due to some settings that it is sensitive to. The other thing to check is that "lot size", "min lot" settings, etc for the symbol you are back-testing are correct. Debugging information will definitely help isolate what is preventing the trade. You can also try compare the FXT settings of the "working" data to that of the "non-working" data to see what settings are different and make them the same via the FXT editor. After that, the only variable is the data itself which means that some pricing/indicator condition is preventing your EA from trading.

Hope this helps.

AritisticMagic55

Post by AritisticMagic55 »

Hi Nico,

I had the same problem and found out that it was the stop level.

MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_STOPLEVEL)

For example, your takeprofit or stoploss may be too close to the Ask or Bid values.

Hope this may shed some light.