How to revert/rollback & disable auto-updates on MT4

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
tickstory

How to revert/rollback & disable auto-updates on MT4

Post by tickstory »

Hi all,

In order to prevent your MT4 from automatically updating and potentially disrupting your back-testing, it may be desirable to temporarily disable the feature.
The MT4 update works by downloading necessary files to the folder:

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\WebInstall\mt4clw

If there are any files in this directory, delete them before attempting to launch your MT4 terminal.

If you need to revert to a previous version of MT4, ensure you have made a backup copy of at least the terminal.exe and metaeditor.exe files from the installation folder. Overwrite these files if you wish to revert back.

As always, proceed with caution and at your own risk! Ensure you always have a full backup of all important files before attempting any modifications.

Any further comments/suggestions are welcome!

alex009

Re: How to revert & disable auto-updates on MT4

Post by alex009 »

Hello,

It seems that my mt4 platform was updated already (build 825), Then I try to use Tockstory as usuall for testing I get a error window. How I can resolve this problem ? Thank you for your help.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Alex,

You can download MT4 Build 765 from here:

http://www.tickstory.com/files/Metatrader.765.zip

You will need to overwrite the included files with those in your installation folder. Make sure you have made any appropriate backups before doing this as some people have reported that they have come across issues.

Regards.

alex009

Post by alex009 »

Thank you.It seems that after doing all these steps and launching terminal.exe it upgrades by itself to 825... May be there is a way how to avoid.

rpg

Post by rpg »

Do not connect to MetaQuotes server; or even if it downloads the new version and prompts to restart MT4, click cancel.

jonyfx

Post by jonyfx »

No it does not work. It updates itself into build 830 even i disconnect the internet.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jonyfx,

MT4 usually caches the update in the above-mentioned folder. Ensure this directory has been cleared before starting MT4.
If nothing resides there, I believe the update could also be in C:\ProgramData\Metaquotes\WebInstall.

Regards.

jonyfx

Post by jonyfx »

1.I downloaded from Tickstory Lite (MT4 is closed at the same time)
2.I erased the folder that you pointed
3.I disconnect the internet
4.I opened Mt4 and tested

Thank you

rpg

Post by rpg »

If MT4 does not ask you before updating itself, the probably you have disabled User Account Control Settings (UAC) on your Windows. So whenever another MT4 installation downloads new updates, all your MT4 installations will be updated automatically when you launch them. To prevent this, you have to enable UAC. Open up start menu and search for UAC, go to "Change User Account Control Settings" and set the slider on "Default"; so when you launch MT4, you'll be notified if it wants to update itself and prevent it.

jollydragon

Post by jollydragon »

Both folders below were cleared. But the issue is still there and the data is still overwritten.
Help!!!

C:\ProgramData\Metaquotes\WebInstall
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\WebInstall\mt4clw